How long do you think it will take to get back to normal?
A lot of people keep asking but that is a wrong question. Things didn’t go back to normal after the last major flu pandemic of 1918. Things didn’t go back to normal after the great depression or the financial crisis of 2008.
- They changed.
- They evolved.
Everything feels new, unbelievable and overwhelming. It’s not a matter of going back to normal. It’s how do we adjust and get ready for the next revolution? It’s not going to happen right away. But it’s going to happen.
It’s already happening. The world as you knew it will never be the same. You never want a serious crisis to occur.
Once the pandemic is under control, a large number of older workers will need to find a new job or even a new career. And the available jobs will be moving more to tele-communicating and digital work than ever before.
Here’s what you can do now to prepare for the new reality of work.
1. Learn new communication platforms.
- You’ll likely need to get used to video interviews or meetings, since communicating via video chats and file sharing will be more popular.
- Remote-work digital training is available on sites such as LinkedIn Learning, Coursera, YouTube and Facebook pages. First, try free online tutorials provided by the app developers themselves: Microsoft Teams, Slack, Zoom and Google.
- Then move to collaboration apps for team projects, such as Basecamp (basecamp.com), Asana (asana.com) and Trello (trello.com/en-US). Most are intuitive and easy to learn from
2. Polish your LinkedIn profile
When the scramble for jobs starts, this will be your personal billboard to present yourself well to prospective employers. Add any recent awards or promotions, and detail work-related skills any learned in recent weeks that will make you more attractive for telecommuting jobs.
- Do a LinkedIn search to find contacts you might connect with at a company where you might want to work.
- Follow the ones that intrigue you. Look at profiles of others in your field to get ideas of how you might tweak your own
Below is how my LinkedIn account looks like. Over 30,000 followers and connections. It would be easier for me to get involved in a project compared to someone with only 100 followers.
3. Police your digital identity.
- Now that you might have some time, remove anything posted on social media that you wouldn’t want employers or recruiters to see. Search your name and click on the top 10 links. You’re looking at what a potential boss can see. And yes, these days potential employers are looking at you in every digital channel.
I just searched for my name Thadeus Bwire, below are the links associated to my details on Google searches.
- Some of this footprint is of your own creation-at a minimum,you should have polished pages on LinkedIn and Facebook. But also check out Facebook posts you’re tagged in but didn’t originate.
- Untag yourself from anything unprofessional.
4. Update Your Resume
It’s important to have a current version on hand that will allow you the flexibility to respond to sudden openings. Keep it short (no more than two pages). Weave your narrative with your CAR (challenge, action, result) stories. Think advertisement, not obituary.
Resume Advisor offers a free expert review.
5. Network virtually
Contacts are critical in what may be a highly competitive post-corona virus job market.
Methodically extend your circle. Join online professional groups for networking on LinkedIn and Facebook
Touch base with former col-leagues or classmates.
6. Plan to work longer Hours
If like most people, your retirement accounts have taken a hit as stock markets fell during the pandemic, this may mean you’ll need to work beyond your official retirement age. Factor that into your plans as you strategize for a post Corona virus world.
7. Look for work-from-home jobs
These are clearly the future. Along with going your current career path, you can find online jobs on the internet that you can make huge amounts of money from. Examples are outlined below:
- Article writing
- Web design
- Research writing
- Affiliate marketing campaigns like for Jumia, kilimall, Google Adsence which are free to join.
- YouTube partner content creation
8. Learn something new.
If you have been furloughed or are out of work and waiting for things to return to normal, take the time to add skills or brush up existing ones. Take an online class or enroll in a course for certification. Tap into free webinars and podcasts in subjects that interest you.
9. Join Network Marketing Business
This is rated among the highest paying careers in the world. It’s only not adopted in the school curriculum and therefore most people have not been informed about the industry. Most people end up having different opinions based on where they get the information from. Briefly, I will high light the advantages of Network Marketing:
- Little or no Initial experience nor expertise because trainings are offered.
- You only need a smartphone or computer
- Internet Connection which you already have
- Low/Very affordable cost of getting started
- Products/services are already created by the companies so your work is just to move the services.
- 24/7 support from the companies. It’s not your work to explain the concept to the customers, the company does all that.
- Very high returns on the little capital required
- It’s very flexible and can be done either full time or part time without interfering with what you are doing currently which could be studies, job or other business.
- Leveraged income. You not only earn from personal efforts but efforts of others.
Below is an example of weekly earnings for a member who is only a form 4 graduate 2018. On average, he makes Ksh 30,000 weekly which makes it Ksh 120,000 monthly and that’s why I said, you don’t need a degree to be part of our online business.
We also have members who work with us part time. The gentleman below is a Doctor by profession. He is based in Mombasa and works with us part time. His part time income is over Ksh 16,000 weekly which is over Ksh 60,000 monthly. You too can do this.
You definitely wouldn’t want to remain in the same situation of anonymity towards the future when you can refocus and find new ways of having life back on your lane once again. I have a few chances to train those who are interested and will commit to online work.
Simply fill out the contact form below and I will get back to you ASAP with the guide. You can as well call/WhatsApp me on +254729833983